8 Best Upper Body Workouts Without Weights [At Home]
Are you looking for some of the best bodyweight exercises that can help you to have a strong upper body? Then you are in the right place. Here in this article, we will show you some of the best upper body workouts without weights.
All these exercises that we have mentioned below will not require any weight that means you can do these anywhere and only with your body weight.
Here are the 8 best upper body workouts without weights at home:
1. One-Arm Push-Up (Both Sides)
If you are bored with the regular push-up and want to challenge yourself. Then you should definitely try one-armed push-ups. It is more challenging and difficult because it not only engages your shoulder but also your chest muscles, triceps and core muscles.
How to perform a One-Arm Push-Up?
- Start in the push-up position while keeping one left hand on the surface and spreading your feet wide apart.
- Hold your right hand tight against your lower back.
- Now, bring your body slowly down until your chest nearly touches the ground.
- Then, bring yourself back to the starting position. That’s 1 repetition.
Easier Version: Do it with your knees not with toes, remaining steps will be the same as above.
2. Diamond Push-Up
Diamond push-up is a bit more challenging than your normal and average push-up. But, it is one of the best push-up variations that work on your triceps and mid chest. Yes, it is a bit harder than the regular and standard push-up.
How to do a Diamond Push-Up?
- First, form a diamond shape with your fingers and thumb on the ground as shown in the picture above.
- Now, get in the kneeling push-up position.
- Lower down yourself toward the diamond shape.
- Now, push up.
- Repeat the process 10 to 15 times in 1 set.
- Do the 3-5 sets every day.
Easier Version: In this version, your knees should be closer to your wrists, remaining the same as above.
Harder Version: In this version, you should start in full push-up position while keeping your legs straight and your toes on the floor but the motions are the same. Just make sure that your feets are perfectly lined up with your body.
3. Dragon Walk
Dragon walk is a great core exercise to strengthen your core muscles and increase your core strength. It also works on so many muscle groups that it feels like you are working on your entire body.
How to do Dragon Walk?
- First, stand straight at the back of the mat and bend forward while keeping your legs straight so your fingertips can touch the mat.
- Move your hands forward until you are in a push-up position.
- Move down into a push-up and raise your left arm and right leg into air while coming back up. Make sure your hips are square to the floor.
- Bring your right leg at a 90-degree angle to your side as you move your left hand forward and position it onto the floor and complete a staggered push-up.
- Push yourself up and again repeat the same process on the opposite side.
- Speed it up once you get used to the movement.
4. Bodyweight Triceps Extension
Bodyweight triceps extension is one of the best exercises to build your triceps muscle as it involves switching between high and low plank positions. It is very easy to perform and is very convenient.
How to perform a Bodyweight Triceps Extension?
- Start in a push-up position keeping your feets hip-width apart.
- Keep your palms down on the mat right in front of your shoulders while keeping your back straight and abs tight.
- Bring your one elbow to the mat first and then another one.
- Return to the starting position in the same order.
- Repeat the same but this time bring the opposite hand first that you previously bought.
- Do 10-15 reps.
Easier Version: Do it on your knees instead of your toes. Rest follow the same steps.
Harder Version: At the same time, drop and raise both the elbows.
5. Plank Side Walk
Plank side walk helps you to strengthen your abs and shoulders. Yes, it is slightly difficult to do but trust me, it will give a lot of benefits to you.
How can you do a Plank Side Walk?
- Begin in a high plank position with keeping your both feets firmly together and your toes pressed against the floor.
- Now, move both your left arm and left leg sideways at the same time while keeping both of them straight and keeping your butt at a regular height.
- Bring your right arm and right leg back to meet both the left arm and left leg in their new position.
- Drop your knees for support once you are done.
6. Half Push-Up Hold
Half push-up hold exercise trains your core muscles and stabilizes muscles along with building a stronger upper body.
How to do a Half Push-Up Hold?
- Begin in a high plank position with feet close together.
- Drop into the push-up but stop halfway where engagement is maximum.
- Hold it there for about 20 seconds with butt in the same level as possible.
- Return to the starting position. That will be the 1 repetition.
Easier Version: Follow all the steps the same but do it on your knees instead of doing it on your toes.
7. Pike Press
Pike Press is a very famous muscle building exercise as it works on your upper body muscles growth (especially deltoids and triceps in the arms and upper shoulders).
How to perform a Pike Press Hold?
- First, warm up with gentle cardio and some arm swings like riding an exercise bike or jog lightly to reduce potential risk of injury.
- Now, start in a regular push-up position while keeping your legs straight and balance your weight on your toes.
- Move your toes up toward your hands and stand on the balls of your feet while keeping your legs extended.
- Bring your head to the floor by bending your elbows.
- Push your body to the beginning position.
8. Clapping Push-Up
Clapping push-up is a plyometric exercise that helps in the development of explosive strength. It is not much more difficult than the standard push-ups. It only requires the right technique and steps for progression.
How can you do a Clapping Push-Up?
- Begin in a push-up position while keeping your feets close together and back straight.
- Now, to get some momentum going, do 1 regular push-up and then starting the clapping push-up.
- You need to pay attention in this step as it will be super quick. You need to launch yourself up with a push, then clap quickly and immediately place your hands down so that you can catch yourself.
- Repeat this process for 5-10 times. You can also increase the repetitions once you get used to it.
So, these are some of the best bodyweight exercises that you can try. One thing for sure is that, it does not mean these are the only workouts for your upper body. You can also try some of the other bodyweight workouts. But, these are my personal favorites.
Doing whichever upper bodyweight workouts, you need to have serious consistency and dedication. It takes time to build great upper body strength. So, try to be consistent and do it in the right manner then only these upper body workouts without weights will help you.
If you go to the gym and follow a specific workout routine then you should always consult with your personal trainer or physician before changing or following any other workout routine.
But, if you don’t go to the gym then you can do the above mentioned exercises to build your upper body as you can do these exercises without equipment at home also.
If you are a beginner then these strength training exercises are perfect for you to get started. You will start seeing results in 4-8 weeks after doing all these exercises.
Which upper body workout routine do you prefer the most? Tell us in the comment box down below and also ask if you have any questions or queries about this topic.